Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham have followed Chelsea and Manchester City in pulling out from the proposed Super League.
City were the first Premier League side to publicly confirm they were pulling out of the breakaway competition on Tuesday evening, despite news initially emerging from Chelsea earlier in the day they had made a U-turn.
The Premier League leaders said in a statement on Tuesday evening: “Manchester City Football Club can confirm that it has formally enacted the procedures to withdraw from the group developing plans for a European Super League.”
Late on Tuesday evening, the remaining four of the Premier League’s ‘Big Six’ made the announcement they were backing out of plans to form a breakaway European Super League.
“We made a mistake, and we apologize for it,” said Arsenal. “We know it will take time to restore your faith in what we are trying to achieve here at Arsenal but let us be clear that the decision to be part of the Super League was driven by our desire to protect Arsenal, the club you love, and to support the game you love through greater solidarity and financial stability.”
In their statement, Manchester United said: “We have listened carefully to the reaction from our fans, the UK government, and other key stakeholders. We remain committed to working with others across the football community to come up with sustainable solutions to the long-term challenges facing the game.”
Liverpool stated: “In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions.”
And Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy told the club’s website: “We regret the anxiety and upset caused by the ESL proposal. We felt it was important that our club participated in the development of a possible new structure that sought to better ensure financial fair play and financial sustainability whilst delivering significantly increased support for the wider football pyramid.”
None of the Spanish and Italian sides have yet released a statement after the six Premier League teams pulled out.